The club was formed in July 1928 with its first ride starting from the The Blackbirds public house in the middle of Hertford thus making us one of the oldest established cycling clubs in Hertfordshire. The club has always combined leisure riding with competitive riding. Today our most popular activities are our Sunday club runs. Usually there are 4 or 5 of these at various speeds and distances. We also run a summer programme of 10 mile time-trials which are free to members.
Members take part in audax and sportive rides throughout the country, either individually or with other members. Most years groups of members organise trips abroad. Recent trips have included tours of Normandy and a week in the Mont Ventoux region. A bike-box scheme is available to members taking their bikes abroad.
Each year the club organises an Open 10 mile time trial and a day of audax rides. The latter raises money for charity - typically more than £1000.
We always welcome new members! If you are considering joining us then please look at the Wheelers' Membership FAQ then fill in our enquiry form and we will get in touch with you either by email or by phone. There is also a Facebook group which is open to members and prospective members. You can join this and follow and participate in discussions.
We normally ask new members to join us on two or three club runs so that you and we can confirm we are right for each other.
Please note that members must be 18 or over.
|Adult membership (over 18) including 2nd claim||£20.00|
|Joint membership (Two members living in the same household)||£30.00|
|Age concession (18 to 21 or over 60)||£12.50|
|Full-time student membership (22 to 59)||£12.50|
It is always open to any member entitled to the £12.50 rate to pay the full Adult rate of £20.00 as a donation to the Club. Membership fees are due on 1st January each year. Subscriptions for new members joining after after 31st August will cover the period to 31st December of the following year.
Our club cycling clothing reflects our traditional colours of light blue, dark blue and gold. We recently introduced a new design to celebrate our 90th anniversary. A £10 discount is offered to new members on the purchase of their first club jersey.
- Weekly email: when you join the club you will be invited to join an email group so that you can receive weekly emails.
- Slack: we use Slack for announcements and discussions.
- Facebook: members discuss club and other cycling topics on the Wheelers' Facebook group. Non-members who are interested in the club may ask to join the Facebook group.
- Mudguardian: our annual magazine which is usually published in time for the Christmas Dinner.
- Handbook: published annually it contains a wealth of detail on Club Rules, Contacts, Racing records etc All publications are free to members.